
It honestly amazes me how some people's attitudes can be towards people who have disabilities . . . And I'm not just talking about those who don't have a lot of respect for them, or those who think completely less of them, etc.
I'm thinking more along the lines of those who view people who have disabilities as "burdens" or "hardships" . . . People who look at teenagers like my brothers, and think that they (as well as my parents and I) must live such a hard, horrible life that we need so much help with. *Note my sarcasm*
I remember about a year ago, when my mom and I took my one brother Alex for a haircut. We went to our local First Choice, where we have been going to forever. Alex wasn't in a bad mood, so he didn't mind sitting down and waiting for his turn. There was an older (quite older, actually) lady sitting near us in the waiting section as well. After a few minutes Alex went up for his turn to get his haircut; my mom went with him, and I stayed back in the waiting area. Alex was laughing and smiling because he liked getting his hair sprayed with the squirt bottle, so he was naturally making everyone else around him laugh too. I looked over at the lady that was sitting a couple seats away from me, and she was smiling too - Then she looked over at me and asked me, "Is that your brother?" I replied, "Yes" and she said, "Oh, he must be quite a handful."
I just sort of shrugged the comment off at the time; I was younger and didn't really think all that much about what she said. Now that I look back on it, I think about how I should have told her how much joy he brings to me, my family, and almost everyone else that he encounters during his day. I would have told her that he was not a handful (or a burden) at all, and that he has his good days and bad days, just like any other person his age.
I know this old lady at First Choice is not the only person in the world who has this mind set. I really do hope this sort of attitude can change - My brothers have been nothing but amazing in my life, and I wouldn't change them for the world.
oooh Becky....so well stated!! all my children give me so much joy! I am very proud of you Becky...keep up the great blogging! love, MOM
ReplyDeleteYour mom must be totally happy! These guys are no more a burden than you or i...just a little more active perhaps! I wish there was a way to harness my guys' energy...he's got supercharged Eveready batteries in him somewhere!
ReplyDeleteHey Becky - great blogging!
ReplyDeleteIts likely and unfortunate that the lady at First Choice likely has never had an opportunity to be in an authentic relationship (not charitable ...they are a dime a dozen)with someone who has a disability.Her world is apparently very small - but you know I think she got lucky that day at the Hair cutting salon when you guys were there. You mentioned in your blog she was smiling too; hopefully amused and distracted from her day to day 'stuff' that probably swallows her up.I hope she at some time in her life opens her small world to others!