banner

banner

Welcome

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog, Inclusion - More than just the word. The purpose of this blog is to hopefully influence people's ways of thinking towards people who have disabilities. I believe that people with disabilities have unique gifts and talents that are often overlooked and undervalued. I believe that in order for their gifts to truly be shared and appreciated, they need to be included in their communities; this, unfortunately, doesn't happen nearly enough.

I think that in order to create change you need to first start by changing people's attitudes. I hope to do this by sharing mine and my brothers' stories. I want you all to think about people who have disabilities in a new way.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/beckys.inclusion
Twitter - @BeckyAlves

Friday, May 7, 2010

An Open Mind


They say your mind is like a parachute - it only works when opened.


Something I've realized throughout my life, from experiences with my brothers, as well as o
ther families who have children that have special needs, is that there are always a few people that we run into who just can not have an open mind towards anything! Whether it be about inclusion, using picture cards (a way of communication), increasing independence etc., the closed-mindedness is one thing that always seems to be around, by some . . . Unfortunately.


One of my very good friends has recently started writing a blog, with similar topics to the ones that I have going on here. I read her latest entry last night, and just had to post it here - The entry was called "
Change?" This blog entry mostly discussed how people who can not just open up their minds, and think outside the box, are the people that are really preventing change from happening.

So here, I basically just wanted to say that I hope you are keeping an open mind to everything I'm writing about. I want this blog to get across a meaningful message, that can create the change that we need to see. I'm not writing to criticize, or bash our school systems . . . I'm writing to make people think, about whether everything that we have known, and have gotten used to are really how they should continue to be in the future. This blog isn't meant to tear down egos, or be personal attacks against anyone - And because I do not have that intent, I can assure you all that I will not quit writing anytime soon. ☺

Also, I'm sure you have probably noticed the layout for this blog has changed; I found it on another site, where this background was called "Inspiration". I chose it for this blog, because that is exactly how I want YOU to feel after reading these entries - inspired to have an open mind, inspired to create change, inspired to make this world better. Reflecting on the present is the first step in changing the future.

1 comment:

  1. Stellar writing, and everytime I read one of your posts I can't help but feel proud to call you my friend :)

    PS: Good grammar, I'm impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete