banner

banner

Welcome

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog, Inclusion - More than just the word. The purpose of this blog is to hopefully influence people's ways of thinking towards people who have disabilities. I believe that people with disabilities have unique gifts and talents that are often overlooked and undervalued. I believe that in order for their gifts to truly be shared and appreciated, they need to be included in their communities; this, unfortunately, doesn't happen nearly enough.

I think that in order to create change you need to first start by changing people's attitudes. I hope to do this by sharing mine and my brothers' stories. I want you all to think about people who have disabilities in a new way.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/beckys.inclusion
Twitter - @BeckyAlves

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

People First Language


Some people would call this a pet peeve, and others may call it complete nonsense . . . But I think it's a form of showing respect.


People first language means that you and I, and everyone else are first and foremost
people. As people, we deserve the respect to be known for who we are, what we have and will accomplish, and where we want to go, rather than what our disability is.

For example:


"
I have two younger brothers, Alex and Todd, who are both diagnosed with autism." as opposed to "I have two autistic brothers, named Alex and Todd."

Both sentences share the same information, yet the first one sounds a tad more positive. It recognizes that my brothers are firstly people who have names, and secondly that they do have autism. When I tell people about my brothers, I want them to have a positive view of them, a view that is open-minded to getting to know them for who they are, and for what they are diagnosed with. Why should my brothers be labeled as being "autistic"? Is it really fair that they be stuck with that label for the rest of their life? No. No one deserves to be labeled.


Another example:


"The students from the DC Class." as opposed to "The DC students" I personally would hate to be labeled by the class that I am in. I wouldn't want teachers and other students referring to me as the sociology/physics/chemistry/French student day in and day out.


People first language doesn't just apply to people who have disabilities - It can be applied to
anyone.

"Someone who has diabetes" as opposed to "A diabetic".


"The guy who happens to be gay" as opposed to "The gay guy".


The way I look at it is that everyone has strengths and qualities - those should be the characteristics that you recognize first and foremost. If you really feel the need to label someone, why not make it something positive?


Some people say that "autistic" or "diabetic" is just an adjective, and not a label . . . But what I want to know, is why those need to be adjectives for people in the first place? Yes, there may be circumstances where those facts may be needed, but in everyday life . . . Not really.


If you were being introduced to someone, would you want the first thing that they knew about you to be that you were bad at math, or lactose intolerant, or "autistic"? I wouldn't want to be labeled like that. I would want to be known as Becky. I would want positive aspects to be mentioned about me, or have them aware of what my strengths are - not judging me on my flaws, or on things I can't control (like the fact that I wear glasses, for example).


After reading this entry, I hope you think about your language more, about how you describe the people you care about, even those who aren't that close to you . . . I know that after my mom made me aware of all this I began to notice it every single time it happened. Now it just bugs me, because it happens so naturally and I really feel like it shouldn't.

I believe that everyone is who they are for a reason, and that is what needs to be recognized.

6 comments:

  1. awesome Becky!! still very proud of you! love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very well said Becky! A point I would like to make if I may that applies to a lot of people who read this blog. Many mom's go to monthly support group meetings and do an introduction of sorts at the beginning. Its always bothered me that the first thing that comes out of everyone's mouth is ...Hi I'm ____ and my son or daughter is/has______. I think its so very sad that we are identifying ourselves that way. Its not who we are...its part of who we are and I just feel like everyone is labelling themselves by their childs diagnosis and not letting people know who THEY are. Like...oh "she's the lady with 2 adhd daughters" instead of "really cool mom of 2 girls who likes to cook and camp with her family. Just my 2 cents! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird how the blogs of yours that I happen to stumble across on Facebook always manage to make my day :) even though I've only had time to read a few (and will read more in the future) I must say I'm impressed. Keep it up!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Becky! I love this post :)
    I learned about people first language at a young age and have really tried to use it all the time - it does take practice ;) Another good tip that a mom shared with me regarding her son is that (among other things) he "uses" a wheelchair. He is not "in a wheelchair", he is not "wheelchair bound", it is not a part of him. She helped me to see that he is a person who is very separate from his chair and like you or I would use a scooter, skateboard, bike or car to get where we need to go, he too "USES" a wheelchair. It is a simple little switch, but it definitely puts the person first. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom Becky - you are really helping others to think!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Heather suggested your page to me - I'm very glad she did. I'm not aware if I am an offender of the label first language, but I will be aware of trying to use people first language from now on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read any further than the title...but this is something I've seen on television recently and I thought it was fitting since you said your brothers had autism. Label jars and not people is an excellent slogan. The link below demonstrates there is no such thing as limitations when you foster one's passion regardless of a diagnosis.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXvWz2BYxAQ

    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete