banner

banner

Welcome

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog, Inclusion - More than just the word. The purpose of this blog is to hopefully influence people's ways of thinking towards people who have disabilities. I believe that people with disabilities have unique gifts and talents that are often overlooked and undervalued. I believe that in order for their gifts to truly be shared and appreciated, they need to be included in their communities; this, unfortunately, doesn't happen nearly enough.

I think that in order to create change you need to first start by changing people's attitudes. I hope to do this by sharing mine and my brothers' stories. I want you all to think about people who have disabilities in a new way.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/beckys.inclusion
Twitter - @BeckyAlves

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Take an Adventure, I dare you.

Our Adventure on the "Niagara Rapids Rush" :)

I feel like sometimes people are scared to get to know people like my brothers Alex and Todd, because of their special needs. Maybe they're intimidated by their different behaviours, or maybe they're unsure of how to communicate with them, but one thing I know for sure: It's their loss, not Alex and Todd's.

This weekend Alex and I spent our time at Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Our mom, one of Alex's support workers, and Pepsi also came with us. The five of us had a blast! Whether it was riding down the water slides, relaxing in the hot tub or lazy river, or just having some quiet time in the hotel suite, we all had smiles on our faces. We even went to the Ripley's Moving 3D Theater!

I was really impressed with how well Alex did with everything. He hasn't been to any place like this before, so this was a BIG DEAL for him, and for the rest of us. We didn't really have any idea about how he was going to react. Would it be too busy for him? Too loud? Too much waiting? Too out of the ordinary? In some ways we prepared ourselves for the worst: the potential meltdown that would occur if Alex was having trouble coping.

Realistically, Alex totally exceeded our expectations with flying colours. He did AWESOME! It was an adventure that I feel truly blessed to have been able to take part in.

Looking back on how much fun I had with Alex makes me think of people that could have been there with him if they had stuck around more. . . "Friends" that were around for a short while but slowly drifted away, workers that stepped out of his life all of a sudden, family members who don't really keep in touch. These are people who have had the opportunity to connect (and stay connected) with Alex. These are the people who didn't do so, and therefore don't get to share these wonderful moments I have with Alex.

I think about these people sometimes, and wonder how they would have felt, or what they would be thinking, if they were the ones seeing Alex's smile as he rushed down a water slide. I wonder if they might be slightly different people if they got to experience something like that. Maybe they would still be in Alex's life, or at least asking how he's doing.

Then I think about the people that don't take the time to get to know Alex at all. The people who walk passed him in school but never say "Hi, the people who make their judgments without getting to know him, the people who assume he's stupid or just like a child . . . The people who just don't understand. I think about how they will never have that type experience simply because they didn't take the time to really, truly get to know Alex. This is when I realize how lucky I am to have someone like Alex in my life.

I have a brother who is also a great friend: Someone I can have a ton of fun with, someone I can share amazing experiences with. Someone who teaches me a lesson everyday, someone I know has made me a better person.

I also realize that a lot of people who have special needs don't have many friends, and don't have siblings like Alex and Todd do. So essentially, they don't have many (if any) peers to be around.

How many of you are high school students who have walked passed someone with a disability - multiple times - and never taken the time to say "Hi," or even get to know them?

How many of you are an adult, who is aware of someone in your community, who doesn't have anyone around supporting them, other then those who are paid to do so?

Imagine the doors you'd be opening if next time you said "Hi" instead of walking right passed. Imagine the adventures you could find yourself taking if you became friends with someone new, who you didn't think you'd become friends with. Imagine the doors you'd open for the other person too. Imagine the path that you two could take together.

Yes, you may have to step out of your comfort zone and talk to someone new. Yes, you may have to go against the "status quo" in order to do so. But trust me, it can be well worth it.

Go on, take an adventure. I dare you.

6 comments:

  1. awesome Becky!! I am so proud of you!!!
    love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky you are certainly the star in the sky for all those that ignore people for their differences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Becky!! I am very impressed. You have such a good head on your shoulders and I can't wait to see what the future holds for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog reminds me that we it is only when we recognize that we are all more alike than different from each other - we all want to have friends and know we are part of a community that feels you matter. when we get to wrapped up inourselves we can forget about the simple pleasure we get from having curiosity - to step out of our comfort zones and be curious about others for whom we would not typically cross paths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this made me so emotional. My son has no 'real' friends in school or out of school and when he's being witty and fun and all the good things that exist alongside his disabilities it saddens me that no one has taken the time to get to know all those wonderful parts of him. Thanks Becky for opening people's eyes (and hearts).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just wonderful!
    I do wish that my sons had been included more. I fought hard in their schools, but it was often a losing battle. I'm glad that your brothers have you and your mom on their side - and on the side of all the people who are born a bit "different." :D

    ReplyDelete