“My phone is being so retarded, it won’t work!”
“I look like such a retard in that picture, ugh!”
“Stop doing that, you look like such a retard.”
I could go on and on listing phrases that I’ve heard that
all use the word “retard” or “retarded”.
Most of the time when people use this word around me, they
don’t mean anything offensive by it. Unfortunately,
the younger generation often uses the r-word as a synonym for “stupid”. What people don’t usually realize is that the
r-word used to be a diagnosis for people who have intellectual disabilities,
and since then there have been very negative connotations associated with the
word “retard(ed)”.
Think about it – have you ever heard someone use the r-word
as a compliment? As a positive
adjective? No. That’s because it is often used as an insult,
even if you’re “just joking”.
As a sibling to two individuals who have disabilities, I can
tell you that it hurts. A lot. Every time I hear the r-word I am reminded of
how society doesn’t always accept or include my brothers the way they should
be, just because they’re a little different.
Every time I hear the word “retard(ed)”, even if it isn’t with offensive
intentions, it feels like someone is directly calling my brothers retarded, and
that isn’t okay.
My brothers are so much more than what people think when
they hear of someone who is “retarded” or has a disability. They are so unique, so happy, and so
motivational. If you took the time to
get to know them, you’d see that.
I’m not writing this to argue about whether the word
“retard(ed)” is or isn’t offensive. I’m
telling you it IS offensive, because I know I’m not the only one who feels this
way. It does offend people – millions of
people – who have disabilities themselves, or loves someone who has a
disability.
Please think before you speak next time, and maybe try to
choose a different word instead. It’s
not about being politically correct, is about the new r-word: RESPECT.
* Today is “Spread the Word to End the Word” Day – you can
pledge to stop using the r-word at www.r-word.org
* Twitter: @EndTheWord
#Rword
* Check out this amazing video (one of many) that spread the word to end the word: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkdtEOrrkPs

Well said. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeletewell done, Becky - thank you for being such an amazing young woman!
ReplyDelete